Search

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Z-wave adventure

I promised to write the story about where my Z-wave adventure begin. I have learned that the need for more energy effective homes exists global but the needs are different. Luckily now we can use one and the same device to complete the diffrent needs that we have. In the part of the world where I'm living we have snow and ice during the several month of the year. My target was, in my opinion, simple. Have a warm car when I like. Budget, no more than 200€. (A webasto solution is about 2000€).
First attempts was a timer. Problem was that I need to be able to start the heater also on hours when the timer is not programmed.
Next attempt. One of those power sockets that you can control with a remote. It said on the package that it was IP44 protected. It lasted one night outside in the cold. And the second issue was that it could not inform me if the signal had actually reached the power socket.
Then, I don't remember know exactly how it was, I stumbled upon the Vera system from mios.com. It seemed to be very easy, affordable and reliable. It also had a very large user base on the forum that tipped about both this and that of very cool things that you could do. It was not only a system for turning on and off lights but a complete gateway and bridge between various devices in and outside of your home.
Couple of days later I had the white box and the power sockets in my mail. Next morning I had a warm car exactly when I needed it and it has worked very well the whole winter.
The outdoor IP 44-class power socket has been very reliable between all the different temperatures we have had. The signal seems to never have any issue to reach it.
I can start and stop it from my mobile. I can have different programs for different outside temperatures (not implemented).
It did not take long until my wife also asked for it. I had prepared by buying two power sockets so it was very easy to copy the configuration.
Now the configuration has grown to other areas in the house but the main idea and usage is still there, and we are prepared and waiting for the first snow to come.
Picture owned by http://desktopwallpaper-s.com/42/-/Winter,_snow/

No comments:

Post a Comment